Following a needs assessment, commissioned by the CFATF Heads of Financial Intelligence Units, and carried out in 2010, the CFATF embarked upon developing a programme, deliberately aimed at fixing the shortcomings which that assessment discerned. The Accreditation and Training Programme was developed by a subset of the CFATF Directors of FIUs, in conjunction with the then Caribbean Criminal Asset Recovery Programme (CCARP) and the CFATF Secretariat.

The Programme is intended  to develop structured and rigid training courses for the analysts and investigators assigned to the Region's Financial Intelligence Units, and the financial investigators of other law enforcement entities which receive the disseminated products from Financial Intelligence Units. 

Programme aims and objectives

The aims and objectives of the programme are built upon many of the regional symmetries which currently exists in the financial investigations community and are supported by similarities in jurisprudence, anti-money laundering legislation and criminal activity. 

The Programme will ensure that the continuously evolving professional needs of the Region’s financial analysts and investigators are supported by a dedicated Accreditation Manager at the CFATF Secretariat and a bespoke online Alumni comprised of all stakeholders. 

Funding

This project is being funded by a grant of maximum EUR 1,233,000 from the European Union, with the CFATF being the beneficiary and coordinator of the Grant Contract. This grant represents 93.19% of the estimated total cost of implementing the project with the CFATF being responsible for contributing the remaining 6.81% or EUR 90,000. The total cost of implementing the project is EUR 1,323,000.

The funding agreement with the European Union pre-supposes that the costs for airfare, accommodation and meals applicable to CFATF CARIFORUM members’ attendance of training sessions will be paid for by the project. The countries eligible to benefit from this level of funding are:

Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.

pdf Aims and Objectives (2.30 MB)

pdf Assessment Report on the need for standardised training for analysts and investigators of CFATF Members (91 KB)

pdf Direct Beneficiaries (897 KB)

pdf How the programme will work - Delivery Methodology (1.06 MB)